Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Joined a gym!

I broke down and joined a gym. Since I have a full ironman on my mind I figured I best get busy with the training. I was really looking for a swimming pool that nobody used, and Urban Active was apparently just that place. It is 10 minutes away so it is convenient (so I shouldn't be able to convince myself not to go.. haha). It is cheaper than the YMCA and Lifetime Fitness and closer, so I took the plunge.

After signing up they set up a fitness evaluation (so they can sell you their personal trainer service). I believe that most do it this way; I know Lifetime does as well. I've usually been good at saying NO to the Personal Trainers but this time, i was unable to. Argh. They had the speech down. Almost as good as the timeshare speeches that I've heard a couple of times. I did talk them into dropping the price from $180 to $90, so I should feel happy right? Well.. I'm still undecided. My plan to be debt-free by next July is taking some hits! I need to switch to Ramon noodles! But the personal trainer probably wouldn't like that.. Hmm... well, we will see. I might stick it out a month and see. It would be good to get set up with the nutrition information and basic workouts and then go from there.

Last year, in training for my half ironman, it took 8 months to lose 20 lbs. Then I put most of it back on in the 2 months of offseason. argh! So hopefully this time, I can lose the 20 at a faster pace. I'm kinda looking forward to having a trainer really. It will keep me coming back in, and give me some more motivation.

I know there were some that doubted that I could complete the half ironman last year. I'm assuming that those people will not have those same doubts about me completing the full ironman but.. you never know. Hopefully this will put me in a better position to actually do fairly well in the ironman though. Not just finish (which would be awesome in itself), but to have a decent time. We will see.. But I have started the process officially now!

UPDATED! I read the contract and realized that I could get out of the contract if I canceled in 3 days, so.. I canceled! They put up a good fight and offered cheaper packages. But then he was getting desperate and basically said that I was in really bad shape and there was no way I could complete the ironman without their help! That pretty much angered me enough that I was really set on canceling after that! I mean, I did train for a 1/2 ironman and lost 20 lbs! I am going to use my knowledge on that previous training and add to it. I have NO DOUBT that I will finish the full ironman, and I will not finish last in my age group! I feel good about the decision. I mean, it would've been nice, but I am really serious about being debt free next year and have that as my main priority. I do need to stop buying toys (like camera's and such!) but... I'm on pace to be debt free next year and will work hard to make sure that happens! So the PT I consider "extra". Maybe next year, when I am debt free, I can look at the training as a possibility. But right now, I'm still excited to have a pool close by, and will certainly look to do the biking and running during the winter to give me a jump on the training.

No comments: