Friday, March 21, 2014

Continuing my Ironman training...

Man, I'm behind on this blog! As the few know that read this, I was hoping to do the full Rev3 race in Cedar Point last year. In my rush to training last year, I injured my back in February (I believe). I was trying to up my running miles to run the Cincinnati Heart Mini Half Marathon in March. After running 7 miles one day, the next day my back was killing me.. I think i was not following the 10% rule and increased my mileage too quickly. So after seeing the doctor and trying everything, I was in pain, and out of training for like 2 and a half months. After finally giving in, and getting my steroid shots, it finally got better. But by then, I didn't think I'd have enough time to properly train for the September race. So the Rev3 gives one deferment and I decided to take it. So I'm hoping to do the Full Rev3 this September (2014)! So far training has gone fairly well. I did have one obstacle though already. A little over 3 weeks ago, I pulled something in my leg while playing soccer.. in my right thigh. So this has thrown me off my training a bit. I tried to play soccer last Sunday, after 3 weeks, and it felt about 85%. Though the following day the leg was hurting in a different place (toward my MCL on the same leg). I recently moved into a house, and have let the leg, and house get in the way of my training, but I'm back on track now (as of last week). I've been putting some miles in on the trainer, now that I have a house, and have also been working on my swimming form at the gym. I cannot wait for it to get warm out so that I can bike outside! I'm really concentrating on not putting too many miles in too quickly. I know that once it gets warmer out I'll definitely put in the miles on the bike outside so I'm not too concerned about the biking portion.. I did my first century last year without much training, so I need to obviously make sure that I can do it at a decent pace, and have enough energy and conditioning to run many miles afterwards. I'm worried about beating the time requirement for the swim (2:20) so I'll definitely put in the training for the swimming. I'd hate to put in all of this training and not be able to complete it due to missing the swim cutoff. So... just hoping to continue this blog with the hope to track my training. I'm way off of it (even though it is really coming up in 6 quick months.. EEK!).. I'm trying hard to do more core strength training this time around (as opposed to the half ironman training). I really need to start living at the gym though.. Writing down that it is 6 months away is pretty frightening! But I do have a plan! well... I'm really just 'winging it' honestly.. I've put down certain milestones that I want to meet every week, and I should be up to six miles running this weekend, but clearly, I'm not up to that. I might try a slow jog tomorrow and see how it feels. I will need to slowly work back up to it, and I know realistically I don't need to run 26 miles continuously during the actual race, but I need to get the mileage in and make sure that I can actually finish the race in the required time.. So... wish me luck.. I'll need some! :)

No comments: